July 2012



31
Training is still going well - feel like my French is getting better, so that is good! host mom gets so excited when I say something new in French haha. - breakfasts are my favorite meal here – my mom makes me fried eggs w/ tomato and onion, french bread, and fresh pinapple - i really like bucket showers. especially at night b/c the water is cold, so I get back from training & I’m so dirty and hot, then I can clean up and cool down - every morning I wake up to a chorus of chickens, goats, people, and who knows what else. I think everything that lives gets up at 5:00, so it isn’t too easy to sleep in - so far in training we have learned about: basic gardening techniques, composting, natural pesticides, trees in Togo, environmental education, and income generating activities. All of it is pretty general, then we will have more specific training in November.

28
went to a resturant in Tsevie to have dinner for someone’s birthday - it was good, but the service was suuper slow.

22
met my whole family - overwhelming - local language is Ewe, so I was meeting all these people and they were telling me things in Ewe, then my mom would say the response in Ewe and I had to repeat her. Haha… i don’t remember any of it. I’m just doing good to pick up on French - met at least 30 people today – my mom’s uncles & aunts, mother & father, brothers & sisters, children & then all of their children - mom is an oil maker! she makes oil from palm.

21
witnessed a chicken being killed for the first time - gross. wouldn’t be disappointed if I never saw it happen again.

20
went to the market in Tsevie - got my first pagne, which is the fabric they use to make clothing

17-19
training all day long Monday through Friday, and then half the day on Saturday; long days, but good - most goes toward learning French, then some time for technical training (learning about agricultrue in Togo).

16
13 EAFS volunteers in Gbatope - host families were there waiting for us when we got there - dancing and singing and playing instruments, giving us hugs – haha it was amazing, but really surreal J - mom’s name is Catherine, and she is amazing. she has 5 kids – at least 2 of them are grown and have families of their own. her youngest is around 10 years old… i think. i don’t speak the best French, and her family is so big that it is hard to keep up with everything

12-15
landed in Lomé late on the 12th – Peace Corps staff was there to greet us - short Q&A time at the airport, then we were all taken to the hotel where homemade pizza and malaria medicine were waiting for us  - lots of time we to hang out - sessions on health, safety and security, how to take a bucket shower, etc.

9-11
38 Peace Corps trainees met at a hotel in Philedephia - sessions about what we expect our service to be like, what measures we should take to stay safe, etc. - three programs among the 38 volunteers: Eglish and Gender Education, Environmental Action and Food Securty, and Community Health and AIDS Prevention - final fill of American food and hot showers, then boarded our plane for Togo

No comments:

Post a Comment